From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel team: please make up your mind
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 22:31:50
1 On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 04:17:45PM -0600, Jason Wever wrote:
2 > On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Greg KH wrote:
3 >
4 > > There was a bug marked for this. Sorry for being quick on it. I was
5 > > also told a while ago that the sparc team had their own kernel. I never
6 > > thought it was this one (as the metadata file sure didn't say that...)
7 >
8 > If I'm thinking of the same bug here, the sparc patch had nothing to do
9 > with it. It wasn't even being used on the user's architecture. As far as
10 > I know the user never really said it was fixed either.
11 >
12 > > > > - development-sources are clean kernel.org kernels
13 >
14 > Isn't this what vanilla-sources is for?
15
16 It would be, but we don't have a 2.6 kernel in that package for some
17 reason. If we can do that somehow, that would be fine with me. John,
18 any problem with this instead?
19
20 And if we do this, we can get rid of the development-sources pacakge
21 entirely :)
22
23 > > > > - gentoo-dev-sources are the current 2.6 kernel trees for all
24 > > > > arches. There is no cesspool of patches in there, and it is
25 > > > > the kernel for the ppc64, amd64, x86, and a few other arches.
26 > > > > Making it the sparc kernel too is no big deal.
27 >
28 > When we make changes like this in the future, please give us some headway.
31 > > Again, sorry for the speed at which this happened, I am very sorry about
32 > > it.
33 >
34 > Not to be a totally insensitive person, but until we have a chance to get
35 > the patch worked into g-d-s, I'd strongly ask that the changes to
36 > development sources be reverted.
37
38 Ok, it's reverted now.
39
40 Any timeline for sending the patches to me for g-d-s? If you have a
41 pointer to them, I'll add them myself.
42
43 thanks,
44
45 greg k-h