From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] KDE, metapackages, and monolithic packages
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:11:55
1 Mike Myers wrote:
2 > Hello!
3 >
4 > Currently, as you all surely already know, KDE is currently handled with
5 > metapackages or monolithic packages. The metapackages is very
6 > convenient for a more complete install of KDE, and the monolithic
7 > packages are better or a more modular install. However, with the
8 > metapackages, it seems much more difficult than necessary to rebuild the
9 > KDE packages. Like, say I wanted to add a user flag to support
10 > something I just added, like xinerama support. With metapackages the
11 > way they are now, I would have to completely uninstall every single
12 > package and then reemerge the metapackage and it's dependencies. Just
13 > simply reemerging the metapackage doesn't actually recompile anything.
14 > Also, if I wanted to add support for part of KDE, like say, alsa support
15 > for kdemultimedia, I would have to manually unemerge each individual
16 > package related to kdemultimedia and then reemerge the metapackage.
17 >
18 > My question is; Is there any better way to do these kinds of things
19 > yet? If not, are there any plans for making this kind of process any
20 > easier for the users? I really like KDE and I'm sure there are a lot of
21 > other people that do as well. I can understand the reason for going to
22 > metapackages, but it doesn't seem to have been as smooth of a process as
23 > intended. At least not in some aspects. I am not a developer, and I
24 > apologize if this has already been addressed. I haven't seen anything
25 > related to this issue. The KDE howto docs seem to assume the user is
26 > doing an initial install and it doesn't address if part of a metapackage
27 > is to be reinstalled. It also suggests metapackages over monolithic
28 > packages. I'm not really sure of the reason for such a suggestion if
29 > making a change to the USE flags is going to be so difficult.
30 >
31 > Maybe somebody can clear this up for me? Again, I apologize if this has
32 > already been addressed.
33 >
34 > Thanks,
35 > Mike
38 emerge --deep --newuse --pretend world
39
40 Regards,
41 Petteri