From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: 2.6.16 and packages in conflict
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 17:02:40
1 Daniel Drake posted <44312B63.1090009@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:04:19 +0100:
3
4 >> Linux 2.6.16 will be in the tree very soon. Assuming there aren't any
5 >> major problems, we'll hopefully be marking it stable in 2-3 weeks.
6 >
7 > We're planning to mark it stable on 10th April. Maybe a few days later,
8 > need to double check that we don't have any in-kernel 2.6.16 showstoppers.
9
10 This isn't a show-stopper, but it's possible you'll get others running
11 into the issue that understand as little as I did about it... Maybe this
12 will save folks the hair tearing frustration I went thru tracing it.
13
14 AMD64 > 4G memory: SCSI formerly (2.6.15 and earlier) used
15 bounce-buffers. It now relies on the IOMMU, either the hardware GART
16 IOMMU for true AMD64, or a software emulation thereof for Intel's EM64T.
17 It'll need to be configured into the kernel and working. Also, here, I
18 had a BIOS issue. AGP Hypertransport Fast-writes had to be disabled in
19 ordered for the IOMMU (and DRI/DRM) to function. Because the kernel froze
20 every time I tried IOMMU, I had the kernel configured without it, so I had
21 /two/ changes to trace down and make, before it would work, thus the
22 problem, since either one alone wasn't enough.
27 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
28 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list