From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 04:48:41
1 On Thu, Jun 25, 2020 at 8:14 PM Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 10:12:18AM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
4 > > offlineimap is widely used and blocks no further work. It can easily
5 > > remain in the tree after all other python2_7 support is gone.
6 > >
7 > > This is not a hill worth dying on.
10 > I am confused here... are you saying that due to usage of the package
11 > that it should stay until dev-lang/python:2 is gone?
12 >
13 > More importantly, I simply responded to Thomas' mention that the package
14 > has alternatives, but apparently, I don't understand how the package is
15 > used :)
16
17 Two reasons: because it's widely used *and* because its python:2.7
18 dependency is on only the interpreter itself.
19
20 The second reason means that its removal doesn't enable any further clean ups.