From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo on Discord
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 17:32:42
1 On 19-04-30 19:24:45, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2019-04-30 at 19:20 +0200, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 > > On 4/30/19 7:18 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, 2019-04-29 at 22:34 +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
5 > > > > In this article on chat services used for OSS:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > https://catfox.life/2019/04/28/keeping-libre-software-accessible-to-all/
8 > > > >
9 > > > > I was surprised to see a mention of Gentoo as a project that uses "Discord
10 > > > > as an official method of communication". When I searched, I indeed found
11 > > > > https://discordapp.com/invite/gentoo. However, I'd never before heard we
12 > > > > were using Discord (and didn't find any mentions of Discord on the -dev or
13 > > > > -project mailing lists).
14 > > > >
15 > > > > Is this indeed an official venue? It's not listed on
16 > > > > https://gentoo.org/support/ (which does mention IRC).
17 > > > >
18 > > > I've contacted the author and the author refused to change it.
19 > > > The claim is that 'PR team runs it', '8 Gentoo developers have admin
20 > > > rights', 'i.e. it is sanctioned by the project itself'. I was suggested
21 > > > that if it's not official, we should close it instead.
22 > >
23 > > If that is how it is perceived I'd be in favor of outright closing it at
24 > > least
27 > I suppose the problem boils down to 'perceived by whom'.
30 Ya, the claim as official came up a while ago, I thought it was dealt
31 with. I'm one of the devs with 'admin' rights it seems, I can change
32 the description and server invite background (both have official in it).
33 I'd change the description to something like the following.
34
35 Discord server for Gentoo Linux, a free operating system based or Linux or FreeBSD.
36
37 Though maybe we should use the language we used in the nitrokey
38 announcment for how to descript Gentoo :D
39
40 It does not look like I have the ability to remove the server entirely,
41 as was suggested elsewhere. I don't think that's a good idea in any
42 case.
43
44 One thing that may help is to have multiple levels of control defined.
45
46 Official - as K_F described before, website and email announce lists.
47 Controled - controled / moderated by Gentoo pr / comrel
48 This would be other email lists / aliases / facebook / etc
49 unofficial - not activly moderated by Gentoo pr / comrel
52 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)