From: Toby Dickenson <tdickenson@××××××××××××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Bash vs. Python Rule files
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:10:52
1 On Thursday 14 August 2003 11:56, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > After all, if I have Gnome, KDE, WindowMaker,
4 > AfterStep, and Fluxbox installed, the current proposal would have to
5 > create 5 separate menus and maintain them to keep everything accurate.
6
7 Not quite, as I understand it..... KDE and Gnome can share one *.desktop file
8 (its just a matter of environment variables to get them looking in the same
9 directory) and I believe some *box are going that way too.
10
11 > Under my proposal, it would only have to maintain ONE and all 5 window
12 > managers would use it.
13
14 Thats a good principal, but it doesnt explain why you want to create a _new_
15 standard rather than http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec/
16 as used by KDE and Gnome already.
21 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list