From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:51:26
1 On 2014.06.30 05:01, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > All,
3 >
4 > I am starting a new thread so we don't refer to a specific package,
5 > but I
6 > am quoting Rich and hasufell from the previous masking thread.
7 >
8 > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 10:04:54AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
9 > > On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
10 > wrote:
11 > > > This is still too vague for me. If it's expected to be short-
12 > term,
13 > then
14 > > > it can as well just land in ~arch.
15 > >
16 > > A package that hasn't been tested AT ALL doesn't belong in ~arch.
17 > > Suppose the maintainer is unable to test some aspect of the
18 > package,
19 > > or any aspect of the package? Do we want it to break completely
20 > for
21 > > ~arch? In that event, nobody will run ~arch for that package, and
22 > > then it still isn't getting tested.
23 >
24 > I'm not saying that we should just randomly throw something into
25 > ~arch
26 > without testing it, but ~arch users are running ~arch with the
27 > understanding that their systems will break from time to time and
28 > they
29 > are expected to be able to deal with it when/if it happens. ~arch is
30 > not a second stable branch.
31 >
32 > > I agree that masking for testing is like having a 3rd branch, but
33 > I'm
34 > > not convinced that this is a bad thing. ~arch should be for
35 > packages
36 > > that have received rudimentary testing and which are ready for
37 > testing
38 > > by a larger population. Masking should be used for packages that
39 > > haven't received rudimentary testing - they might not have been
40 > tested
41 > > at all.
42 >
43 > The concern with this argument is the definition of rudimentary
44 > testing
45 > is subjective, especially when a package supports many possible
46 > configurations.
47 >
48 > I think some packages need wide testing before they go stable, and
49 > that
50 > is where ~arch can help out.
51 >
52 > In particular, I would argue that for system-critical packages, users
53 > should be very careful about running ~arch unless they know what the
54 > fallout can be.
55 >
56 > *snip*
57 >
58 > > I guess the question is, what exactly are we trying to fix? Even
59 > if
60 > > occasionally a maintainer drops the ball and leaves something
61 > masked
62 > > for a year, how is that different from a maintainer dropping the
63 > ball
64 > > and not adding a new release to the main tree for a year? Would we
65 > be
66 > > better off if Docker 1 wasn't in the tree at all? If it happened
68 > > have a known issue would ~arch users be better off if some other
69 > dev
70 > > came along and helpfully added it to the tree unmasked no realizing
71 > > that somebody else was already working on it?
72 >
73 > Take a look at profiles/package.mask. You will see many packages in
74 > there with the description, "masked for testing" on their masks, with
75 > no
76 > bug references, that have been there for multiple years. My view is
77 > we
78 > should either get those masks resolved or boot the affected
79 > packages/versions out of the tree. If they haven't received
80 > rudimentary
81 > testing by now, it is pretty obvious that no one cares about them.
82 >
83 > William
87 Once upon a time, not so long ago I don't remember it, there were very
88 few overlays. At that time, there was always a lot of packages in the
89 tree "masked for testing". At that time, well before layman, overlays
90 were inconvenient.
91
92 As overlays have become more widespread and used as a way to lower the
93 barrier to contributing directly to Gentoo, there are fewer packages
94 "masked for testing".
95
96 I like the old way, it avoids installing yet another overlay but
97 clearly others feel differently or there would not be so many overlays
98 to choose from. The reality is, both ways work for me.
99 Pragmatically, its not practical to merge all of the overlays into the
100 tree, then ban overlays. That would be a return to the old way.
101
102 This just represents a change of workflow with time.
103 The question then is do we need to formalise the changed workflow, or
104 can both be allowed to continue side by side?
107 Regards,
108
109 Roy Bamford
110 (Neddyseagoon) a member of