From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:10:54
1 On Saturday 05 of November 2005 12:34 Lisa Seelye wrote:
2 > The first is the method of delivery: Through 'emerge sync', which
3 > requires that users run this on a regular basis to receive relevant
4 > news. Further, this process can take a very long time and transfers a
5 > relatively large amount of data along with the news.
6 >
7 > My second concern is the frequency that users sync. A stated concern is
8 > getting news to users before it is too late. Is there any way to gauge
9 > the number of unique users which sync on a regular basis? When is "too
10 > late"? Is there an acceptable window for delivering news? It is not
11 > uncommon for me to refrain from running emerge sync (or even cvs up on
12 > the entire gentoo-x86 tree) for weeks or months on machines I wish to
13 > keep somewhat static.
14
15 How can users who don't run `emerge --sync` or any other syncing methods
16 perform possibly dangerous upgrades of packages?
17
18 Cheers,
19 -jkt
22 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth