From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 by default
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 07:47:58
1 On 20-02-2012 03:07:33 +0000, Kerin Millar wrote:
2 > I know that adding LANG=POSIX doesn't do anything in this case but I
3 > have a feeling that its presence would be instructive to new users. If a
4 > user is asked to configure something which isn't present, it often
5 > generates questions which might otherwise be avoided. I've changed
6 > "en_US.UTF-8" to "en_US.utf8" there for similar reasons.
7
8 I don't understand. UTF-8 is the codeset, that utf8 is recognised as
9 the same thing is IMO a GNUism. glibc understands "UTF-8" perfectly
10 fine these days, so it should preferably be used instead. (Even the
11 man-page, utf8(7), suggests that.)
15 Fabian Groffen
16 Gentoo on a different level