From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Silly question
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:54:41
1 On Thursday 13 June 2002 18:03, Charles Jenkins wrote:
2 > I'm interested in getting Gentoo Linux, but I have a 56k dialup
3 > connection. Do I understand correctly that the install CD will want
4 > to download stuff, if, for example, I ask for KDE 3?
5 >
6 > I'm trying to determine if Gentoo is practical for a slow-speed
7 > dialup user.
10 Yes, depending on your install (and whether or not you use the stage3) you
11 will need to download data from 200 MB to over a gigabyte. It is possible to
12 do this downloading at another site and transfer the sources by
13 cd-(re)writeable. Installing by modem is possible but not advisable
14 (especially if you need to pay per minute/second).
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze
20 Junior Researcher