From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 20:06:24
1 "C. Bergström":
2 > Pretty please do NOT allow "merge" commits.. they are the bane of evil
3 > for the long term ability to have any sane work-flow.
4
5 It works pretty well for the linux kernel.
6
7 Ofc it's a matter of actually handling it. If people are unable to
8 properly handle tools/methods, everything could become the bane of evil,
9 no matter what tool you use.
10
11 > There's a big debate between merge vs rebase
12
13 I think most of those debates are nonsense. Both methods have their use
14 cases. But it matters when to use them. A lot of people don't even know
15 how to actually rebase, so they end up causing merge commits for
16 everything which will lead to a _very_ confusing history. Simply banning
17 that method is not a solution in my opinion.
18
19 The solution is to make a clear policy or recommendations when to use
20 one of them.