From: gentoo-user@××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new category scheme idea
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 06:20:14
1 On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Einar Karttunen wrote:
2
3 > I don't think so. The work would just go into specifying keywords for the
4 > ebuilds. If we have categories it is easier to create local categories
5 > and organise ebuilds by criterion the original author didn't think of.
6 > For example lynx could be put into console-apps and web-browsers, but
7 > this may be done without touching the ebuild at all. So someone may create
8 > an category without consulting the authors of the respective ebuilds.
9 > This would remove the dependency of managing categories and ebuilds
10 > and distribute the work. Also new experimental ebuilds could be added
11 > quickly into portage and integrated into official categories when they
12 > prove successful. Gentoo installations could be copied by creating
13 > a custom category containing all installed applications and then
14 > merging it on another server.
17 You've got a point there, I didn't think about that but you've pointed to
18 the other side of the coin. Evaluating the pro's and con's I think you're
19 right and we should not autogenerate those categories.
20
21 Paul
24 ___
25 /~~~\ | Paul de Vrieze
26 | O-O | | Student of information management and technology
27 | _ | | Mail: Paul@××××××××.net
28 \___/ | Homepage: http://www.devrieze.net