From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Questions about SystemD and OpenRC
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 15:37:06
1 On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think that people get this confused because 99% of linux users have
3 > an initramfs (and about 2% of Gentoo users it seems), and most
4 > initramfs implementations DO interpret the root=parameter. If you
5 > specify an initramfs then the kernel actually ignores the
6 > root=parameter entirely, mounting the initramfs as root, and passing
7 > control to its init. The initramfs is expected to mount root (or not
8 > - you could just run the whole system off an initramfs I guess). Most
9 > initramfs implementations just parse the root= line on the kernel,
10 > although it is worth noting that genkernel's initramfs does not and
11 > uses real_root instead.
12
13 Small correction: genkernel's /init script accepts both real_root and
14 root on the kernel command line. If real_root is not specified, the
15 value of root is used.
16
17 It seems that the real_root option is a remnant of the initrd (not
18 intramfs) code, where root needed to be a ram disk (/dev/ram0). With
19 initramfs, the kernel ignores root, so we are free to use it for
20 specifying the actual root device.
21
22 So, when you see grub2-mkconfig generating entries with root=...,
23 please do not panic; this works just fine. :-)