From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: supervise-daemon -- a lightweight openrc daemon supervisor
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 10:37:58
1 Daniel Campbell posted on Tue, 16 Feb 2016 22:30:45 -0800 as excerpted:
2
3 > IMO you're over-thinking it. I read it as "As you were, then", which is
4 > a common saying in the (American, at least) military advising one to
5 > keep doing what they're doing, or return to a resting position. :)
6
7 Yes. That's how I read it too... with the direct military reference in
8 my head... but only _after_ realizing my first read simply didn't make
9 sense in context.
10
11 But I agree, that's almost certainly what was intended, which was why I
12 decided there was a missing break, so that "As you were, then", could
13 take on the military meaning, which in my (no-military-experience) mind
14 at least, generally comes after a pause, represented by a break, in
15 print. Without that, I saw it as continuation of the previous thought,
16 with its connections with "dumb".
17
18 And knowing from hard experience how easy it is to type something that
19 ends up being misread across continents and cultures, I thought it best
20 to mention the missing break, tho in hindsight I also should have been
21 explicit about the military reference of the positive interpretation, as
22 well, as while I considered it obvious once the break was there, now that
23 I think about it, it's equally likely (if not more so) to be missed, by
24 anyone not particularly familiar with the cultural reference.
25
26 So thanks for making the military reference explicit. I saw it on second
27 read, but failed to make it explicit, thus inviting misinterpretation,
28 myself.
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman