From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: brix@××××.org, x86-kernel@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [LAST CHANCE]: kernel + kernel module ebuild changes
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 04:56:44
1 maillog: 17/03/2004-19:51:12(-0500): Peter Johanson types
2 > Yeah, It hadn't occured to me to try to incorporate more than one
3 > EXTRAVERSION compile with this system. Doing things like this would get
4 > really complicated/messy, but this might be mitigated by making:
5 > KBUILD_OUTPUT= $KBUILD_OUTPUT_PREFIX/$MAJOR.$MINOR.$PATCHLEVEL$EXTRAVERSION
6 > So that this happens automagically. whenever you change EXTRAVERSION in
7 > the toplevel makefile. Only problem with that is the destination
8 > directory isn't guaranteed to exist if you do this. config-kernel could
9 > be extended to add a --set-extraversion foo which could handle all those
10 > particulars though. WOuld this be sufficient?
11
12 If you had in mind that whenever I do
13
14 # config-kernel --set-extraversion /usr/src/linux-build/2.6.4-x2
15
16 I would get
17
18 # head -5 /usr/src/linux/Makefile
19 VERSION = 2
20 PATCHLEVEL = 6
21 SUBLEVEL = 4
22 EXTRAVERSION = -x2
23 KBUILD_OUTPUT=$(KBUILD_OUTPUT_PREFIX)/$(MAJOR).$(MINOR).$(PATCHLEVEL)$(EXTRAVERSION)
24
25 then I can live with that. I even dare say it would be perfect. Plus, the
26 output directory would be created by config-kernel, so there is no worry about
27 it not existing.
28
29 Or did you mean something like
30
31 # config-kernel /usr/src/linux-build/
32
33 to set the prefix, probably only once, and later
34
35 # config-kernel --set-extraversion -x2
36
37 to set EXTRAVERSION in /usr/src/linux/Makefile every time I switch kernels? The
38 output directory can still be created by config-kernel at the second step and
39 users would need to be advized to always use config-kernel and not change
40 EXTRAVERSION manually. This is not such a big problem though.
43 \ Georgi Georgiev \ "Never give in. Never give in. Never. Never. \
44 / chutz@×××.net / Never." -- Winston Churchill /
45 \ +81(90)6266-1163 \ \