From: Markus Nigbur <pYrania@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] using unsermake instead of automake to speed up distcc
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 15:02:18
1 On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 16:51:38 +1000
2 Troy Dack <troy@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 16:44, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
5 > > Someone posted an article[1] about optimizing distcc a few days ago
6 > > on -user. It talked about using unsermake[2] instead of automake to
7 > > generate Makefiles that let many source files be built at once,
8 > > which allows you to take full advantage of a network full of distcc
9 > > hosts. Did any of the devs take a look at it? It appears to only be
10 > > available through KDE CVS, but that's never stopped any of you
11 > > before :)
12
13 Sounds neat, I'll have a look at it this week.
16 > > [1] http://www.csh.rit.edu/slashdot/distcc.html
17 > > [2] http://www.kde.me.uk/index.php?page=unsermake
18 >
19 > I did attempt to hack the kde-cvs eclass to use unsermake, it didn't
20 > work too badly, the only problem was that every time you built a
21 > kde-cvs based package the unsermake dir would be re-fetched.
22 >
23 > I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to create a standalone unsermake
24 > ebuild, however unsermake was a little unreliable last time I tried
25 > it.
26
27 Define unreliable, please.
30 (o_ Markus Nigbur