From: Dhruba Bandopadhyay <dhruba@××××××××××××.uk>
To: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>, drobbins@g.o, games@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Enemy Territory and Gentoo
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:31:45
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > It appears that the only course of action we have left to remain good
3 > members of the community is to remove all id games from portage. If
4 > there is someone else I should talk to about this, let me know so I can
5 > contact them. We appear to be at an impass since neither of us appears
6 > to be getting through to the other.
7 >
8 > To be honest, I simply don't see how if I were to change the ebuild to
9 > display the EULA and force the user to accept before continuing does not
10 > meet the licensing requirements. Since I have repeated this and gotten
11 > no real response on it specifically other than you repeating about a
12 > wrapper, I am assuming that this is not acceptable to meet the license.
13
14 Hello
15
16 Being an avid enemy territory addict I'm very distressed to hear that
17 idgames on gentoo including enemy territory are becoming more of an
18 impossibility as exhibited by the above email. Please allow me to make a
19 suggestion or two.
20
21 What is required here is some sort of explicit and interactive consent of
22 the EULA by the gentoo user. This can be done in two ways.
23
24 (1) Add an F flag to the ebuild thereby forcing the user to download the
25 installer independently of portage and thereby agree to EULA online somewhere.
26
27 (2) Add an environment variable so that the package will only install when
28 the environment variable is set correctly. So, when the ebuild is
29 executed initially it will output a message saying "Please read the EULA
30 on <URL> and extend your explicit consent by doing the following".
31
32 AGREE_EULA="yes" emerge enemy-territory
33
34 Personally, I am tempted to go with the second option above as this not
35 only fulfills the EULA requirement but also makes the ebuild
36 non-interactive which in my opinion all ebuilds should most definitely be.
37
38 (3) The other non-interactive option is as mentioned in the previous email
39 adding a wrapper to the main executable which asks for consent on first
40 run and then stores evidence of consent on the local filesystem. All
41 future executions of the game proceed as normal.
42
43 I look forward to receiving feedback on these propositions and trust that
44 a mutual agreement shall be reached between all concerned parties.
45
46 With regards
47 Dhruba Bandopadhyay
51 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list