From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Remember to specify SLOT when adding subslot operator to dependencies
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 17:07:59
1 On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 18:10:46 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >> We can simply have multiple virtual versions, each depending
5 >> on the proper jpeg & jpeg-turbo versions.
6 >
7 > you can do it that way, yes.
8 >
9 > what will you do when jpeg 10 is out or when libjpeg-turbo changes its
10 > abi ? wait for each provider to have a release that changes the abi ?
11 > this doesnt sound sane
12
13 I think a thorough solution needs to handle the passthrough situation,
14 and ideally the multiple libs per package situation.
15
16 Our whole versioning system wasn't really set up with this stuff in
17 mind either. We're dealing with ABI/SONAME versions here - not
18 functionality versions. A package with jpeg-turbo SONAME 0.6 might be
19 a superset of all the functionality in SONAME 0.9 - the larger number
20 doesn't mean better, just different.
21
22 It might still be possible to handle this with subslots as they are
23 currently implemented, but I'd have to really mess around with it to
24 be sure. The logic of higher-number = more-desirable is likely to
25 cause problems - you don't want your system to force you to move from
26 jpeg-turbo to jpeg because only the latter is a dep of a newer
27 virtual.
28
29 Rich