From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:41:15
1 On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:09:25PM -0600, Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 >On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 09:21:19PM -0500, Ben Lutgens wrote:
3 >> Hi all, I just installed a small system from a running system using
4 >> sys-i686-20010406.tgz
5 >
6 >Hey! A www.sistina.com (LVM) person trying Gentoo Linux! Thanks ;)
7
8 That's right. I am sistina's Senior Sysadmin. :-)
11 >> The first and formost thing I noticed was that syslog spitting out errors
12 >> everytime the logger tries to make an entry (it can't access
13 >> /var/log/syslog.d/ dir) so I change the perms, now it says it can't lock the
14 >> dir. So my syslog is still broken.
15 >
16 >Did you extract the tarball using the "p" option? -->
17
18 Doh! Ooops.
19
20 ># tar xzvpf ...
21 >
22 >If not, then tar didn't preserve the literal directory permissions and this
23 >is probably causing some problems for you.
24
25 I'll try again.
28 >> Next I try to add a user using adduser and that application won't even run, I
29 >> get "PAM authentication failed" I did however change roots password and am
30 >> still able to login.
31 >
32 >This is a relatively ancient bug that desperately needs fixing. I'm not sure
33 >exactly why PAM is barfing. If I remember correctly, it can be fixed by zapping
34 >a file in /etc/pam.d.
35
36 Which one, I'll try using vipw and vigr and try to login but I don't think
37 it'll let me, something in pam's busted for sure. I you can post a fix on the
38 website (A FAQ question?) that would be great.
41 >I agree. One of the downsides of doing a major development project in your
42 >"spare" time is that you are forced to step away from development even when
43 >there are little quirks like this that you know need fixing. However, I don't
44 >think there are any major quirks beyond this one.
45
46 Well, I rather like the fact that it's mostly hands-on stuff, and if I can get
47 the authentication thing straight I can hack the rest of it.
48
49 Ports man, I love it. Finally a distro with ports.
50
51 >Achim didn't include the "vipw" and "vigr" tools in build.tbz2?
52 >
53 Didn't try them yet, but on a previous install I used useradd and that worked
54 o.k. but I still couldn't login with the use I added.
55 --
56 Ben Lutgens cell: 612.670.4789
57 Sistina Software Inc. worl: 612.379.3951
58 Code Monkey Support (A.K.A. System Administrator)
59
60 Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream