From: solar <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] enable UTF8 per default?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:50:23
1 On Tue, 2006-02-28 at 11:58 +0100, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > at FOSDEM we had a nice discussion about languages, translations etc.
5 > Having people from the US (wolf31o2) who never have problems and people
6 > from Japan (usata) who always have problems with encodings /
7 > charsets / ... was quite interesting.
8 >
9 > During that discussion we realized that having utf-8 not enabled by
10 > default and no utf8 fonts available by default causes lots of
11 > recompilation and reconfiguration.
12 >
13 > Enabling the unicode useflag in the profiles should help our
14 > international users and should not cause any problems. Are there any
15 > known bugs / problems this would trigger? Any reasons against that?
16 >
17 > If there are no objections this should be a small but helpful change.
18 >
19 > On a tangent I wonder if pulling in extra fonts as a dependency of X
20 > makes sense (useflag controlled, enabled by default) - that way the
21 > unicode capabilities are available without any configuration.
24 I forget where I read it but I thought that unicode lead to overflows
25 and was considered a general security risk. I wish I knew where I read
26 that but I'm unable to find it.
27
28 Any list readers know anything relating to that?
31 solar <solar@g.o>
32 Gentoo Linux
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list