From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ekeyword and ordering
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:05:17
1 foser wrote: [Fri Jun 10 2005, 10:55:17AM EDT]
2 > As the threadstarter indicated, this was done without discussing it
3 > and in the knowledge that there was no agreement on this issue. As
4 > said before, the fact that something gets done some way, doesn't
5 > mean it's right to do it that way.
6
7 Not to dilute your point, which is well taken, but I'm curious how
8 much discretion the tool author has to make decisions independently?
9
10 > See earlier replies : unneeded arbitrarily introduced inconsistency. I
11 > don't know why people are defending that move, even vapier indicates
12 > that there really is no reason to do it alphabetically, except maybe
13 > that he now knows to look in the keywords string, which is of course a
14 > bit far fetched with all arch keywords not being set for all different
15 > packs (so he still has to look at different points in different packs)
16 > and was not brought up as a defence of his particular move at the time
17 > he started doing this.
18
19 If all the keywords in the tree were alphabetical, would that have any
20 impact on the compressibility of the tree?
21
22 > Oh no doubt, I'm concerned about the inconsistency mostly. The
23 > maintainers arch is a concept that I do not necessarily associate
24 > with the keywords ordering anymore (although it may have been
25 > a reasonable indicator in the past), it actually really makes this
26 > discussion fuzzier than it has to be.
27
28 Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse the issue by bringing that up.
29
30 > My point is more about how this got 'introduced' as a mindset and
31 > that such unguided behaviour gets reinforced by this discussion, now
32 > up to IUSE ordering changes and next we'll tackle inheritance order.
33
34 Agreed, it was a bad decision on my part to make the change without
35 discussing on this ML. That's something I will try to not repeat in
36 the future.
37
38 Btw, here's an interesting statistic which really doesn't add to (or
39 detract from, I hope) this discussion...
40
41 grep -hr --include=\*.ebuild '^KEYWORDS=' /usr/portage | perl -ne '
42 s/[^[:lower:]\s]//; @F = split; @S = sort @F; $sorted++ if "@F" eq "@S";
43 END { printf "%d%% of ebuilds are sorted (%d/%d)\n", 100*$sorted/$., $sorted, $. }'
44
45 49% of ebuilds are sorted (9435/19174)
46
47 Regards,
48 Aron
51 Aron Griffis