From: Mecho Puh <mecho@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [Fwd: gentoo.org reorg (GDN/GUN)]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:29:14
1 > Objectives/Goals:
2 >
3 > * have gentoo.org to function as a central hub to all our
4 > (growing) community
7 We need first to define sources and goals. I'll just try, but I'm newbie
8 so fill free to change them:
9
10 * Sources:
11 - developers work - changes in the CVS system
12 - users "work" - mailing lists, forums, IRC
13
14 * Goals:
15 - up-to-date news and annoncements
16 - up-to-date documentation - common format(read XML) translated to as
17 more languages as possible
18 - "small" howtos - Gentoo XML
19 - books and guides - Gentoo XML or DocBook
20 - FAQs
21
22 Let's try to get the "big picture" for all of this:
23
24 * CVS: now it's about 40M long bunch of directories, full with a lot of
25 unused things. Example: gentoo-xml directory - dobbins xml resume ;)
26 Separating it in several modules will be better I think:
27 - gentoo-web, gentoo-doc etc.
28 A big cleaning is needed. Can be done from the modules admins.
29 We already have cvs2xml conversion, so integrating cvs changes in the
30 web pages will not be difficult.
31
32 * mailing lists: no problems - they work (email access),
33 have archives (web access), can be readed via gmane service
34 (news access)
35
36 * forums: very active and unexplored area. Ideas:
37 - ask topic moderators for weekly/monthly digest - FAQs etc.
38 - extract scripts from the posts - maybe gentoo-contrib module in CVS
39
40 * IRC: same as forums - ask IRC operators for some digests
41
42 About goals:
43 * up-to-date news and annoncements. I think the current handling on
44 web pages news is not effective. Now it is done by xml files,
45 converted to html with realy biiiiig and messy xsl. Why? Who will need
46 other format (pdf or something) for the main page with every day
47 changed context? If you take a look on main xsl file, the part for
48 handling main page and news (/guide and /main tags) is about two
49 times bigger that the ALL OTHER tags handling. And it is raw HTML,
50 no parameters, nothing. A small changes are a big pain, belive me.
51 This is not needed. XML is for document. It is the best way to keep
52 them in common format. XSL need to convert howtos, not the page with
53 news. News need to be handled by some content managment engine
54 (more about this later).
55 Using RSS is needed - it is defacto standard for news exchange
56 between the sites.
57
58 * up-to-date documentation - i like Gentoo XML format. It's small,
59 easy to learn, productive. Just a small changes in the XSL are
60 needed. Also now a lot of documents are in fact not valid Gentoo
61 XML, they are not DTD valid. There is a section-in-section, which
62 is not valid. Inside XSL is subsection tag handling, but subsection
63 is again not valid (not described in th DTD). Again need a cleaning.
64 Also now we have just a bunch of howtos not very well organized.
65 Maybe some ideas from http://www.tldp.org/ will be good.
66 Also we still haven't big manuals - handbook etc. Something like
67 FreeBSD handbook:
68 http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
69 I prefer Gentoo XML format, but if impossible - to use DocBook
70
71 * FAQs - people ask a looooooot of questions - in the forums,
72 in the IRC. Something like FAQ-O-Matic will be very useful:
73 http://faqomatic.sourceforge.net/fom-serve/cache/1.html
74 FAQs can be handled on "by architecture" and/or "by topic" basics
75 (install, portage, network etc.). With faq-o-matic it is possible
76 different people to handle each topic/architecture.
77 From where will come information? IRC and forums digests. Installing
78 some Wiki (TWiki[http://twiki.sf.net] or
79 MoinMoin[http://moin.sf.net/] maybe). Topic admins can see what's
80 happends from the "Recent Changes"
81 wiki page.
82 I like the OpenBSD FAQs - http://www.openbsd.org/faq/index.html
83
84 I want to propose one tool just to ilustrate possible solution:
85 Drupal: http://www.drupal.org/
86 "Drupal is a content management/discussion engine suitable to setup or
87 build a content driven or community driven website."
88
89 How will look gentoo web if use this tool:
90 - There are several teams - PPC, x86, doc, portage. They interact with
91 CVS and we can follow to changes with cvs2xml, cvs2rss, cvs2html etc.
92 Drupal's view: http://www.drupal.org/module.php?mod=cvs
93 Each team need to take care ONLY FOR HIS OWN weblog - to be acurate,
94 up-to-time etc. - user's blogs in drupal:
95 http://www.drupal.org/module.php?mod=blog&op=view&id=622
96 See the XML button on the botton. What's this mean? If I'm a x86 user
97 I can syndicate my webpage with x86 team weblog, so I'll see news ON
98 MY OWN page. I like RSS. And I'll start to like Gentoo ;)
99 All weblogs are aggregated on the main page:
100 http://www.drupal.org/index.php
101 And what we recieve? Up-to-date news and annoncements.
102 - All documents are organized in the way similar to http://www.tldp.org/
103 HOWTOs, Guides, FAQs - need also searching engine. FAQ-O-Matic have
104 already this feature. Drupal also:
105 http://www.drupal.org/module.php?mod=search
106 - We need also big manuals - guides. Drupal feature - collaborate book:
107 http://www.drupal.org/node.php?id=253
108 Different chapters (nodes) can be handled by different peoples.
109 - Translation - some changes in the XSL required. Using config files and
110 parameters for country charset. Layout to be divided from the context.
111 Again CVS modules can help. Translator get gentoo-doc and return us
112 gentoo-doc-ru, gentoo-doc-jp etc. Or gentoo-web-.....
113
114 Some opinion?
115
116 Best Regards,