From: "Zou
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Need Help: Creating a new third party package
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:45:58
Hi,

I am trying to create a gentoo package for some internal software.  I
followed
several Howtos online and created the ebuild file for my package.  But
somehow
ebuild always return me the same error over and over again:

$ ebuild ./component-template-0.1.0.ebuild digest
Invalid package name in package.provided: component-template-0.1
!!! aux_get(): ebuild path for 'mycat/component-template-0.1.0' not
specified:
!!!            None
!!! aux_get(): ebuild path for 'mycat/component-template-0.1.0' not
specified:
!!!            None
doebuild(): aux_get() error reading mycat/component-template-0.1.0;
aborting.

I did google for this error, most say that it is because of the
PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
But I do have PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in my /etc/make.conf
file.
And I can upgrade existing Gentoo packages after modifying them.  For
example,
I copied over the xmlrpc-c-0.9 to the /usr/local/portage/dev-libs/ and
changed
it to xmlrpc-c-1.03.07 and it worked liked a charm.  It is just my
packages
are somehow not recognized by portage.

I read it somewhere that the category name "mycat" has to be an entry
listed in
/usr/portage/profiles/categories.  I added "mycat" into the categories,
still
the same result.  Plus, this doesn't make sense because the "emerge
--sync"
would remove it.

Any body has any ideas where I am doing wrong?  It can't be this
difficult to
create a new package for Gentoo, can it?

Or do I have to use gensync to create my own portage tree for this?  And
if
I have to, anyone can point me to how to do that?  There are documents
on how
to use gensync, but not how to create a 3rd-party portage tree.

BTW, my "emerge --sync" takes more than 15 minutes to finish.  Anybody
has the
same problem?

Thank you very much for your help.