From: David Klaftenegger <davidweb@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] multiple categories for a package
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:37:13
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 10:28:48PM +0200, David Klaftenegger wrote:
3 >>Why not just create a symlink to the package in the category it *also*
4 >>should be in?
5 >>
6 >>For example, net-mail/mutt could be a symlink to ../mail-client/mutt,
7 >>allowing to find it in both categories.
8 >>
9 > It's a better approach then tagging it into the metadata imo, since it
10 > forces unique cat/package still. Won't play nice if the tree's fs
11 > doesn't like symlinks though (fat)...
12
13 Well, instead of a symlink it could also be a textfile containing the
14 package it points to... but who wants to use a floppy fs for the tree
15 anyways?
16
17 > Also doesn't seem incredibly useful to me, although keep in mind I'm
18 > the lazy bugger who thinks what's there currently suffices :)
19 > ~brian
20
21 The discussion lasted long enough for me to think about the problem;
22 I personally would save 10 seconds to a minute every now and then if
23 there were multiple categories, so I'd like it, but I don't know if that
24 little gain would justify the effort to implement it.
25
26 Greetings,
27 David
28 --