From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: per package eclass GLEP
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 09:55:28
1 On 9/20/10 7:30 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > How does it provide more code sharing than the existing system?
3 >
4 > Previously I could put code I wanted shared:
5 > 1) In a global eclass, which means any ebuild in the tree can likely use it
6
7 A global eclass is quite heavyweight. It requires a review on
8 gentoo-dev, is difficult to deprecate, and so on. That's discouraging if
9 you only want to share 2-3 simple functions used by only one package.
10
11 > 2) In a pkg eblit
12
13 Which is hacky.
14
15 > Wouldn't taking code from a global eclass and moving it to a
16 > per-package eclass limit code re-use?
17
18 No. It lowers the barrier to entry in cases where the shared code is
19 only useful for one package. It can always be promoted to a global
20 eclass later (with a proven API).
21
22 Paweł