From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Live ebuilds in the main tree (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] ...)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:07:08
1 On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 22:58:03 +0100
2 "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Dienstag, 21. Februar 2017, 14:39:55 CET schrieb Francesco Riosa:
5 >
6 > > BTW that help a lot we, users, that want to test that package in
7 > > the limbo time upstream has done some changes and the ebuild as not
8 > > caught up. Othrewise just avoid the -9999 in tree, a lot of
9 > > developer have said they are evil in the past (right?)
10 >
11 > Actually I'm not so convinced that -9999 live ebuilds in the tree are
12 > "evil" anymore (assuming they have no keywords).
13 >
14 > Why?
15 >
16 > Compare the git history of, say, app-office/libreoffice (with the
17 > live ebuilds in the main tree), with kde-apps/kmail (with the live
18 > ebuilds separately in the kde overlay).
21 Yeah there is that, and it is also much simpler to maintain a live
22 ebuild than to rewrite and check 10 new configure options at each major
23 version.
24 This assumes the maintainer is using the live ebuild quite seriously
25 though :)