From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Making procfs mount as nosuid,noexec by default
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 23:21:27
1 Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > The local root exploit-of-the-week would have been unable to run if our
5 > users systems had /proc mounted with nosuid and/or noexec
6 >
7 > It would be worthwhile considering making this a default. What are
8 > people's thoughts?
9 >
10 > Additional testing of this change would be appreciated (just ensure that
11 > nothing breaks). To do it as a one off:
12 >
13 > # mount -o remount,nosuid,noexec /proc
14 >
15 > To make it more permanent, /etc/fstab has:
16 >
17 > proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
18 >
19 > Change to:
20 >
21 > proc /proc proc nosuid,noexec 0 0
24 > Thanks,
25 > Daniel
26
27 Daniel,
28
29 Turns out that yesterday after we talked about this. I've been running
30 one of my boxes like that for ages. So far so good.
33 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
34 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/