From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Prevent binary/non-compiled packages from binary package creation
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2017 20:42:42
1 Just to clarify, the contenders for no binpkg would be the
2 following, potentially more.
3
4 - ebuilds that are fetch restricted
5 - ebuilds that installs files unchanged, like kernel sources
6 - Binary ebuilds, -bin, that just use src_install and do not build
7 anything
8
9 There may be some other cases, but I think that covers the main ones.
10 The first case, should NEVER, not even optionally be allowed to be
11 binpkg. That is re-distributing something that is fetch restricted. If
12 it cannot be mirrored, I doubt it can legally be re-packaged.
13
14 The later 2 could be "optional" defaulted to not build, but could be
15 forced. There is little benefit at that point but some may prefer those
16 be a binpkg.
17
18 I have no problem with it being optional.
21 William L. Thomson Jr.