From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 3.1: Stabilization and news item
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 18:55:53
1 On 24 March 2010 19:41, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 03/24/2010 02:28 PM, Joshua Saddler wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 19:04:51 +0100 Arfrever Frehtes Taifersar
5 >> Arahesis<Arfrever@g.o>  wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> People, don't want Python 3, probably have already masked it. There
8 >>> is no reason to waste Council's time for decision on what sentence
9 >>> should be included in the news item.
10 >>
11 >> Not the folks running the stable tree, because they don't know about
12 >> it. They're not following the discussion here on -dev. They're going
13 >> to get unpleasantly surprised when it shows up in their next world
14 >> update.
15 >>
16 >> Include instructions on how to mask it if desired in the news item.
17 >
18 > Will not masking python-3 cause anything to break in any way?  Do users need
19 > to do anything to make python-2.6 or whatever the default interpreter
20 > (instructions for using eselect python are not given in the news item)?
21 >
22 > If the only potential issue is that users might have a few extra files
23 > installed that they don't need but which won't cause them problems, then I
24 > don't know that we need to instruct users to create masks.
25 >
26 > If having python-3 will cause stable users problems, then we probably
27 > shouldn't be stabilizing it anyway.
28 >
29 > Compared to the KDE 3->4 migration this is probably going to be a fairly
30 > minor issue for most stable users, unless we're expecting breakage.
31 >
32 > Rich
33
34 Did you even read the whole thread? And the other one named
35 "Packages pulling in python-3*, also they dont require it"?
39 Ben de Groot
40 Gentoo Linux Qt project lead developer