From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does the scm ebuild masking policy make sense for git?
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 09:57:39
1 On Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:28:16 +0100
2 Georg Rudoy <0xd34df00d@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Let's limit our sample to Gentoo tree then. How frequently arches list
5 > shrinked as a result of bumping the version (because the upstream has
6 > chosen so, not because of insufficient resources to keep testing all
7 > previously stated arches)?
8
9 They do not shrink only due to a result of bumping.
10
11 In the ideal case it is indeed announced and we can do it at bump time;
12 in the less ideal case they rather shrink due to us finding out that
13 a particular major feature does no longer work on an architecture.
14
15 This could thus also happen due to an incompatibility with one or
16 another dependency for which no further architecture specific code is
17 written, or perhaps due to an architecture specific bug that has arisen.
18
19 In the ideal case, shrinking wouldn't be a problem; in the less ideal
20 case, having no keywords is preferable to shrinking as continuously
21 testing live ebuilds isn't affordable.