From: Grobian <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] generating ChangeLog files automatically from `cvs commit`
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:18:37
1 Ok. I'll elaborate some. I was not planning to do so, but it appears
2 there is some misinterpretation here. It was not my intention to let
3 you all know that I think cvs and Changelogs are databases. They most
4 certainly are, but that is not the point here, and may be saved for
5 another discussion.
6
7 The whole point was that I like avoiding storing data double
8 (redundant), if that can be done easily. As from Mike's initial post I
9 had the impression this is "easy" to do. It appears people don't have
10 much different to tell in the cvs commit logs, or even neglect to type
11 them at all, so it looked as not a that strange thing to take away the
12 ability to be creative with the two different places you are able to
13 type into.
14
15 As for the forum example: it wouldn't be a foreign key if there wasn't a
16 left outer join to look up the respective value for the column. And so
17 that left outer join is here to generate the Changelog to be "backwards
18 compatible"