From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Suggestion for getting rid of udev
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 02:44:22
1 On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Thus, the point I'd make and that I believe you were making is not that
3 > Gentoo can't be different, or we'd obviously be doing a binary distro
4 > like everyone else, but that we pick the differences which we value
5 > enough to develop and maintain, and while the customization that building
6 > from source allows is one of them, gentoo's not known as a "no-udev"
7 > distro now, and making it so by default is in practice going to cost
8 > resources that we simply don't have, so it's extremely unlikely to happen.
9
10 Yup, that was basically what I was getting at. We need to pick our
11 battles. Being so different that we have to patch half of our
12 upstream packages to work with our userspace is just creating a mess.
13
14 It is bad enough that we have to patch half of our upstream packages
15 because they don't know how to make decent build systems. :)
18 > But gentoo /does/ value the ability of the administrator to make that
19 > sort of choice for themselves, and gentoo would not be gentoo, if it
20 > didn't try to preserve that choice where possible given development
21 > resource constraints, because that is one of the points of
22 > differentiation that gentoo has always focused on.  Individual apps and
23 > indeed, whole desktop environments, may require udev, but that doesn't
24 > mean the gentoo machine admin isn't free to choose alternatives that
25 > don't require it.
26
27 I couldn't agree more. Certainly if anybody running an mdev system
28 finds that some tweak to another package makes their life a lot easier
29 and it doesn't otherwise increase the distro's maintenance burden a
30 great deal, then they should submit a patch. Much of the power of
31 Gentoo is that it gets out of the user's way when you want to do
32 things differently.
33
34 I think it will be a while before we see an mdev profile, however.
35
36 Rich