From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 26 -- Handling kernels with portage
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 09:55:16
1 On Monday 03 May 2004 03:04, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
2 > The new glep is here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0026.html
3 >
4 > Nathaniel
5
6 Hi Nathaniel,
7
8 I'm trying to understand the problem that this GLEP is trying to solve. To be
9 honest, the current wording comes across more like a solution looking for a
10 problem.
11
12 If genkernel is broken - why not redo^H^H^Hfix genkernel instead?
13
14 Your GLEP totally fails to address how your binary kernel image is going to
15 end up in the lilo/grub boot menu. It also fails to address dealing
16 with /boot filesystems.
17
18 It doesn't address how you're going to manage any risks that this process will
19 introduce. For example, there must be a significant risk that your 'generic'
20 kernel config will build a kernel that renders the user's machine unbootable.
21
22 One of the justifications for doing this work is "2. More consistent with the
23 rest of portage". However, your GLEP doesn't fully define how the initial
24 install will work - and it completely fails to address how emerge -u and
25 emerge -C will be delt with. It also doesn't address how re-installing the
26 same version of the kernel will be handled. I've just been through this with
27 GLEP 11, and based on my experience I'd recommend that your GLEP is not
28 approved until you've credibly addressed these areas. That's nothing against
29 your proposal in particular - I think it should be a standard point in the
30 GLEP reviewing process.
31
32 I completely fail to understand your Rationale 7. What does a generic kernel
33 config file allow you to version track better? What are you version
34 tracking? The config itself? Who will benefit from that, and how?
35
36 Your GLEP doesn't specify how the utility described in stage 1 will be
37 executed. Will it be called from the eclass? If so, what USE flag will be
38 used to make it optional? There's no description of how this utility would
39 work.
40
41 The GLEP says that Stage 2 is not optional - but then goes on to say that this
42 stage can be skipped by USE=-buildkernel. This part of the Specification is
43 broken.
44
45 There's no provision in the GLEP for your Stage 2 to pick up existing custom
46 settings created outside of the utility mentioned in Stage 1 (ie, a kernel
47 configured the traditional way).
48
49 There's no justification given for creating this kernel tarball. The
50 specification does not state where this tarball will be stored, or how it
51 will be removed from the system when no longer required.
52
53 I don't think your main case for GLEP 26 is well-argued. Actually, I don't
54 think you've put up any argument at all. For a start, there are *three*
55 build systems - not two. You forgot the kernel's own build system. Are you
56 planning on replacing that too? You haven't made the case for why Portage
57 and genkernel are competing. You haven't made the case for why any
58 competition in this area is necessarily bad.
59
60 Why would it be good for backwards-compatibility to have your stage 1 utility
61 called genkernel? Surely the functionality of the two is so different that
62 it would mislead and confuse the very users this process is trying to help?
63
64 I think the authors of this GLEP, and those they have taken advice from, have
65 seriously underestimated the complexity that this proposal requires, and at
66 this stage have a proposal that is either badly thought out, badly documented
67 - or both.
68
69 I think this GLEP needs significant revision before it's worth serious
70 consideration. Also, because of the unique nature of the kernel, I think we
71 should insist on a working prototype that demonstrates how the process will
72 work before the GLEP is approved.
73
74 Best regards,
75 Stu
76 --
77 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
78 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
79 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
80
81 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
82 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C