From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: Cory Visi <merlin@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev List <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] development-sources are not 'development'
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 22:14:19
1 Why not call a spade a spade? As a user I think *kernel* version
2 numbers are good - you know exactly what you are getting. I do agree
3 that in general, using incremental version numbers is bad, but Kernels
4 are a special case. What happens when we get to 2.8?
5 gentoo-dev-dev-sources? We already use modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4
6 and 2.6 because the differences are so great - this is quite a neat fix
7 by the way. Also linux26-headers which is what they truly are (just
8 wish they and emerge would play nicely together)
9
10 There is a lot of confusion in userland by not calling kernels by their
11 real name - I include 2.4 and 2.6 as part of the kernel name (i.e., as
12 alpha text), and the sub version as the true version. How many times do
13 you see something like "I am running a 2.6 system" - nobody says "I am
14 running a gentoo-dev-sources system" as outside of gentoo (and possibly
15 limited even there), users would have no idea what kernel version that
16 is - and this information is critical as to how a system works.
17 Kernel.org can get away with calling 2.6 current, but a distro does have
18 to take into account legacy in a sane, manageable and user friendly
19 fashion.
23 BillK