From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Ebuild limits?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:24
1 Dave Nebinger posted <200510030146.13596.dnebinger@××××.com>, excerpted
2 below, on Mon, 03 Oct 2005 01:46:13 -0400:
3
4 >> Wouldn't it be better to use the
5 >> associated portage-provided packages?
6 >
7 > That's the goal - strip out the parts from their distribution that have
8 > exiting components already within the portage tree (and already installed on
9 > my system). Boils down to a couple of wars for the most part, plus scripts,
10 > things like that.
11
12 If you haven't looked at them yet (you may be well past this, it sounds
13 like you are well farther along than I am in ebuilding experience -- I
14 don't think I'd be tackling that job)...
15
16 * Check out the split kde ebuilds (konqueror, kcontrol, etc, instead of
17 kdebase, kmail, knode, the various handheld/PIM builds, instead of kdepim,
18 etc) to see how an existing in-portage solution manages taking only part
19 of the source and configuring/building based on already merged components
20 from the rest of the source.
21
22 * Check out the xorg-x11 builds, for a good example of a rather complex
23 ebuild, broken down into logically digestible pieces, in the form of
24 multiple functions within the ebuild.
25
26 * Both of these use eclasses as well, but the kde ones especially should
27 be instructive for their use of the kde eclasses to handle the various
28 split functionality, if you decide to go with eclasses for part of it.
29
30 Just because it might be of help...
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
36 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list