From: Jaco Kroon <jaco@××××××.za>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>, kernel@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] linux-mod - moving checks to pkg_pretend
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 09:41:12
1 Hi All,
2
3 Currently checks for kernel options etc happen in pkg_setup, would it be
4 possible to move this to pkg_pretend?
5
6 Motivation:  pkg_setup executes just prior to unpack, so if it fails
7 here it could be after a lot of other work has already gone into other
8 packages, breaking the full merge, it would thus be better to break early.
9
10 A couple of packages (dahdi included, although, in-prep commit changes
11 that to match the eclass) invoke special cases for CHECK_CONFIG,
12 depending on USE flags, so for example this is going into dahdi now
13 (variation of what was in pkg_pretend)
14
15 use oslec && CHECK_CONFIG+=" ECHO"
16 linux-mod_pkg_setup
17
18 Most of the checks in linux-mod_pkg_setup (like ensuring kernel sources
19 are prepped) makes sense to perform in pretend rather so that we know
20 it's sorted prior to the first packages starting to merge, thus reducing
21 risk of breakage once merges have initiated.
22
23 There are a fair number of consumers in-tree that would need to be
24 validated, but from a quick grep I did this morning looking for examples
25 I *suspect* most of the consumers will not require any changes.
26
27 If there are no objections, and time permitting, I could take a shot at
28 this and file a PR.
29
30 Kind Regards,
31 Jaco