From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] /opt for binary only packages
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 12:17:51
1 I know that this is a convention we've followed (and is represented on the
2 ebuild howto guide), but is it set in stone?
3
4 The reason I ask is that I have a group of about 5 packages that I'm
5 working on ebuilds for that by default all want to be in
6 /opt/Pkgname-version. I've done some ebuild foo to make it want to
7 install stuff in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, etc, but it also contains some extra
8 specification files that get used at runtime that it's expecting to easily
9 find, and leaving everything to just go into /opt/Blah is so much easier
10 to support.
11
12 So my question is: is it accept to install a package into /opt that isn't
13 strictly binary, but by default and design convention wants (and pretty
14 much needs) to be installed there? I guess moreso I want to propose
15 changing the 'gentoo convention' for /opt to add in that it's okay to
16 install something in /opt that was designed to go there by its upstream
17 authors.
18
19 Thanks,
20 Caleb