From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Actions of python team, especially Arfrever wrt python eclass and python-3*
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 01:24:59
1 On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 01:35:55PM +0000, Domen Koooar wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 14:41 +0200, Thomas Sachau wrote:
3 > > Am 06.06.2010 13:50, schrieb Domen Kožar:
4 > > >> And if you add a python slot or remove one, portage currently is not able to see that and to
5 > > >> reinstall packages, which had modules installed for that slot. You need another tool
6 > > >> (python-updater) to check that and to call the needed reinstalls.
7 > > >
8 > > > I agree with this fact, user should not be required to read additional
9 > > > documenation for portage to function as wanted.
10 > > >
11 > > > I'm very unfamiliar with inner workings of portage, but using
12 > > > python-updater implementation, USE_PYTHON behaviour shouldn't be that
13 > > > hard to implement?
14 > >
15 > > You want some additional switch to portage, which does the work of python-updater? That would just
16 > > move the code, but would still have the same limitations. What does speak against explicit user
17 > > control for optional features/slots, including dependency handling by the package manager like in my
18 > > proposal?
21 > Maybe I expressed myself wrong. Portage would only reuse python-updater
22 > to detect and repair changes with python installation.
23 >
24 > If I understand correctly, one solution would be to pull stable 2.x, and
25 > only install other slots according to USE_PYTHON.
26
27 $PACKAGE_MANAGER should not have to use python-updater *period*. If
28 the USE_EXPAND route was taken for desired python versions, mapped
29 down to virtual/python:$SLOT, the manager would know automatically of
30 the needed python subgraph dependency wise.
31
32 Really wish people would stop pointing at python-updater; it's a flat
33 out hack that exists only due to info not being exported to the PM.
34
35 ~harring