From: Greg Turner <gmt@×××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some multilib-minimal enhancements [2/6]: add frob for consumers to disable automagic header wrapping
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 01:20:16
1 On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 12/11/2013 10:18 PM, Greg Turner wrote:
5 > this needs more explanation. Why do we want this?
6
7 Sometimes the automagic header stuff is working against the ebuild
8 author, or at least threatens to, in the future.
9
10 The most plausible etiology would be: ABI "X" is going to generate
11 header_x.h but ABI "Y" is going to generate header_y.h, or no header
12 at all. An argument could certainly be made this this calls for
13 either (a) a way to exempt a particular header from the header
14 automagic -- not all of them or (b) a general exemption from
15 ebuild-crashing, for headers that are present for a certain ABI but
16 not in other ABI's. The only reason I didn't implement either of
17 those (both of which are probably preferable to mine) is that it
18 seemed nontrivial, and I'm lazy.
19
20 Regardless, if our standard advice is "try not to use this automagic
21 header wrapping feature, it can break autoconf assumptions" (IIRC, it
22 is -- but if it isn't, it probably should be), then we ought to
23 provide /some/ convenient means to get around it, other than sneaking
24 those headers in through some kind of inter-abi back-door, in order to
25 fake out the automagic (which is, effectively, what we require right
26 now).
27
28 FWIW, I'm pretty sure that thus far, every time I've thought,
29 initially, that I needed this feature, I've ended up deciding I didn't
30 need it, after all.
31
32 -gmt