From: grozin@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 07:03:02
1 Sorry for following up myself,
2
3 On Fri, 17 Jan 2014, grozin@g.o wrote:
4 > OK, let's be conservative. Python and Perl scripts may break on some arches
5 > (I'd say it's a rare exception, perhaps 1%, but still). But what about
6 >
7 > dev-java/java-sdk-docs
8 > dev-db/postgresql-docs
9 > sys-kernel/linux-docs
10 > dev-dotnet/gtk-sharp-docs
11 > app-xemacs/general-docs
12 > dev-util/kdevelop-php-docs
13 > dev-util/gnome-devel-docs
14 > app-vim/phpdocs
15 > gnome-extra/gnome-user-docs
16 > gnome-extra/gnome-getting-started-docs
17 > dev-php/smarty-docs
18 > dev-python/python-docs
19 > dev-python/cheetah-docs
20 > app-doc/php-docs
21 > app-doc/root-docs
22 > app-doc/geant-docs
23 > app-doc/blas-docs
24 > app-doc/lapack-docs
25 > app-doc/gnucash-docs
26 > app-office/abiword-docs
27 > dev-lisp/hyperspec
28 > sys-apps/man-pages[-*]
29 >
30 > and maybe others? They contain no scripts which can possibly break. I'd say
31 > they should be keyworded on all arches as soon as they are keyworded on the
32 > first arch; the same goes for stabilization. I'd include also packages
33 > containing only TeX/LaTeX code - TeX behaves identically on all arches, this
34 > was and is its main strength. Also, probably, python/perl/ruby interpreted
35 > scripts *which don't load extra libraries* work identically on all arches not
36 > in 99% of cases but in 99.99% (0.01% is for cases when the interpreter is
37 > broken on a given arch).
38 Maybe, a good solution is to introduce a special arch, "noarch", for such
39 packages (similar to what's done in the rpm world). Then, if a package is
40 ~noarch, it is automatically considered ~arch for all arches. Similar for
41 stable. The maintainer should be able to keyword ~noarch and to stabilize
42 noarch. Comments?
43
44 Andrey