From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: useflag policies
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2015 14:10:30
1 On 03/08/2015 15:07, Dale wrote:
2 > Michael Palimaka wrote:
3 >> On 03/08/15 07:14, NP-Hardass wrote:
4 >>> ^^ has the pleasant side effect of being easier to read, as a user. The
5 >>> user receives a message saying "at-most-one-of" instead of some
6 >>> convoluted other expression that they don't understand.
7 >>>
8 >>> I am all for the use of ^^ add the default for this reason.
9 >> This introduces a usability nightmare for anyone with both qt4 and qt5
10 >> in their global USE flags (a common configuration).
16 > As a Gentoo user. This is what I have set and what I hope to get
17 > because of the settings. I have both qt4 and qt5 set in make.conf for
18 > my USE flags. I expect qt5 for whatever packages can work with qt5 and
19 > qt4 for whatever isn't ready for qt5 but requires qt. If for some
20 > reason a package isn't quite ready for qt5 and won't function correctly
21 > for me, I can always set that in package.use until it is. My current
22 > entries for this:
23 >
24 > media-libs/phonon-vlc qt5
25 > media-video/mkvtoolnix -qt5
26 >
27 > I don't have notes on that so not sure what was ran into to require
28 > those. I may comment those out and give them another try.
29 >
30 > Point of this post, provide a little user info about expectations and
31 > settings. Y'all sort out the best way forward and let us know if we
32 > need to change something. :-)
35 Dale and I think alike.
36
37 I also have Qt4 and Qt5 installed, and I expect packages that use them
38 to link to the version that works better (understanding that "better" is
39 usually the opinion of upstream and the devs). If I decide I care about
40 which one works better for a given package, then I'm happy to
41 package.use but mostly I like that file to be as empty as I can get it.
42
43 What I don't want is for the machinery to give the impression that I
44 can't just go with whatever the dev put in the ebuild for the general
45 case. I also don't want to have to keep going back to use.desc because
46 it's not obvious what the flag probably does.
49 Alan McKinnon
50 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com