From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] $Header:$ and ebuilds
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 20:41:59
1 On Sat, Apr 21, 2007 at 10:54:15AM -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > PS: We aren't switching version control systems as far as I'm aware.
3 > Robin is just doing research into moving to git. The whole point of his
4 > inquiry is 'is anyone using $header in a manner than cannot be ported to
5 > using $blobid$'.
6 >
7 > [1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44750
8
9 That thread was a followup to this previous thread:
10 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/44298
11 Wherein I discussed what Gentoo would need out of Git that wasn't yet
12 fully polished in Git (as followup research to see if Gentoo _were_
13 switching to Git, what would happen). The second thread came about
14 because somebody else posted a partial prototype, that Linus Torvalds
15 then dissected for why it wouldn't work with Git.
16
17 Torvalds notes that if you are taking the file out of the repository, it
18 should be done with 'git export' adding revisions during that process,
19 but this means that the developers and users get different content :-(.
20 As a useful side, our Manifest files already contain the SHA1 of the
21 ebuilds, and those are in fact the Git BlobIds, so we do have them
22 recorded there, but the Manifest gets regenerated, so it's easy to lose
23 them.
24
25 Linus's response on the style of problem you have in copying files over
26 to your overlay, is that your overlay should be a Git branch of the
27 original tree.
30 Robin Hugh Johnson
31 Gentoo Linux Developer & Council Member
32 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
33 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85