From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anyone appreciate this VERY dumb idea....
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:42:21
1 On Wednesday 23 July 2003 07:48, KH c wrote:
2 > Hello all Gentoo developer,
3 > I get an (maybe dumb) idea: Gentoo is VERY OPTIMIZE
4 > for your hardware because you have to compile one
5 > program by another, and manual fix any problem happen.
6 > It is a turn off for Linux newbie even though s/he has
7 > a lot of patience. Is there a way to comprise?
8 > Assuming the user has a lot time and no trouble
9 > happen inbetween.
10 > I would suggest how about writing an intelligent
11 > installer that will automatically check dependency,
12 > download it and install it like urpmi in Manadrake or
13 > apt-get in Debian so even new user can enjoy the
14 > benefit of optimization WITHOUT the hardwork? i.e. I
15 > want to install X, just tell the program and it will
16 > take care of the whole process for me. Is it possible?
17 > Or how about a pre-written scipt that will do the
18 > compile process for different type of pre-set usage
19 > like Desktop, Mutimedia, Networking, Internet? i.e. It
20 > is not a pre-installed package, it is a pre-set
21 > packager that will do the packaging right in front of
22 > the user's eye. Each user get the same package and
23 > script yet it is OPTIMIZE for their computer after
24 > they install it. What do you think about this idea?
27 Well, we are currently working on the Gentoo Reference Project which provides
28 prebuild binaries with sensible defaults. That would make it possible to get
29 up and running rather fast. Then a user can specify his optimisations and
30 build new packages with those optimizations. We also have a utility that
31 provides the recommended compilation flags for each architecture, and we do
32 not advise to deviate from them too much. It is indeed very possible to make
33 compilations fail with wrong useflags. (In some cases applications actually
34 compile correctly but function wrong, or unpredictable).
35
36 Given no overagressive use flags it should be possible after the preliminary
37 installation (from the installation documentation) to just say "emerge kde
38 gnome mozilla" and have them all automatically installed. This process should
39 run without errors and after some (well probably a lot depending on your
40 hardware) time it should finish telling you that kde gnome and mozilla were
41 merged. If this process does fail at some intermediary point, please report
42 it as it is a bug and should not happen.
43
44 Paul
47 Paul de Vrieze
48 Researcher