From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] tentative x86 arch team glep
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 13:59:04
1 On 5/9/2005 13:41:54, Jason Stubbs (jstubbs@g.o) wrote:
2 > On Monday 05 September 2005 20:21, Simon Stelling wrote:
3 > > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > > If it isn't fit to be marked stable, it shouldn't be out of
5 > > > package.mask. ~arch means "candidate for going stable after more
6 > > > testing", not "might work".
7 > >
8 > > It's a bit of both. When you put a package into ~arch, it's in
9 > > "testing", so that says it needs further "testing" since there still
10 > > could be a not yet discovered bug, right?
11 >
12 > Testing of the ebuild rather than of the package, though. This is the
13 > point where people sometimes get confused.
14
15 That'd be me then :)
16
17 So we're talking about correctness of ebuilds (correct dependencies,
18 use flag logic etc) and not whether the package actually works in depth.
19 The latter is what caused me to suggest drawing together a large team of
20 user-testers managed by arch-team devs. Correctness of ebuilds takes
21 us back to a dev role and the ebuild quiz, since it's necessary to
22 understand ebuilds to criticise them.
23
24 Kev.
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list