From: Per Wigren <wigren@××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/init.d
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:52:41
1 How about having a "magic line" like:
2 ###PROTECTED###
3 or something? Then emerge can overwrite the file if that line doesn't exist..
4
5 // Wigren
6
7 Monday 11 March 2002 19.02 skrev du:
8 > On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 12:48:08PM -0500, Yannick Koehler spoke thusly:
9 > > Guys,
10 > >
11 > > not sure for anyone else but is init.d really need to be protected?
12 > > I mean does someone really change files in that directory (other than
13 > > adding or removing)?
14 > >
15 > > That dir should always get merged. It would also get really nice of
16 > > the portage could detect that no changes has been made to the file since
17 > > its installation and therefore merge it without any issues.
18 > >
19 > > Like if the protected config file's time were saved in a temp files
20 > > that portage would look into before merging to see if the date has or
21 > > not change since the last install.
22 >
23 > Yes it needs to be protected. I, for instance, have my own version of
24 > pcmcia in there that I don't want stepped on. Also, I have a couple of
25 > other custom scripts for things not in portage yet; and when they are in
26 > portage, I want to be able to compare the differences before using one
27 > or the other.
29 > gentoo-dev mailing list
30 > gentoo-dev@g.o