From: Lukasz Damentko <rane@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Developer Retirements
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:36:22
1 2009/3/10 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>:
2 > So really an effective solution might be for the recruiters/retirement staff
3 > to change a user's shell with a script that spits out a message that says
4 > something to the effect of:
5 >
6 > "You have been inactive for a while. Please contact recruiters to re-enable
7 > your account. This was done as a security measure."
8 >
9 > Obviously a little friendlier would be better but everyone gets the gist.
10 > That'll prevent them from logging into infra boxes and from being able to do
11 > a commit.
14 First of all there's been a lot of returning devs from whom I heard no
15 word of complaint about the procedure. Bonsaikitten is one of them if
16 this argument really requires an example.
17
18 Now, if someone can't, has no time or is unwilling to redo his quiz...
19 what makes you think this person will make a good developer later on?
20 What will ensure quality of his contributions? After months or (in
21 most cases) years of not being a developer it's very likely the person
22 is out of touch with most current things in Gentoo and a conversation
23 with a recruiter may be really good learning experience.
24
25 I heard multiple times from recruiters that this is procedure is
26 necessary for returning developers. If you ask them, I'm sure they
27 will confirm those devs often need such refreshing and also are
28 appreciating the time put into it from the recruiting team.
29
30 Finally, what you are proposing (which I read as infra suspending
31 their access automatically instead of me or other undertaker
32 contacting the person first) far harsher and putting off than pretty
33 soft (and many say too soft) procedures we have now.
34
35 I personally would prefer to talk to such a person before suspending
36 them anything happens.
37
38 Please also remember that if we suspend access automatically and it's
39 suspended for some time, it will require jumping through hoops upon
40 returning just like one has to jump through them when being recruited
41 back. I don't think QA will allow us to just give access back without
42 prior checking if the person is current with everything a developer
43 should know. And if they did allow that, I wouldn't consider this a
44 good thing.
45
46 Kind regards,
47