From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, releng@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: changes with udev-init-scripts-28
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 11:11:50
1 On Fri, 29 May 2015 12:39:28 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 12:20:58PM -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > > On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 06:49:36PM +0200, Alexis Ballier wrote:
6 > > > On Fri, 29 May 2015 11:43:22 -0500
7 > > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > > The second change is that, from this point forward, the init
10 > > > > scripts will not be automatically added to the sysinit runlevel.
11 > > >
12 > > > what will happen if i make a new install and forget to add udev
13 > > > to my runlevels ?
14 > >
15 > > I thought adding services to runlevels on the livecd and in the
16 > > stages was a function of catalyst, so you shouldn't have any issues
17 > > with this.
18 > >
19 > > Releng, please chime in here, am I wrong about this?
20 >
21 > Ok, I got the information I need from releng.
22 >
23 > This will be a function they can handle once they start doing stage 4
24 > builds instead of stage 3. So, I will add it back until then.
27 Add back what? auto-add of udev to runlevels ? Your 2nd draft doesnt
28 seem to say so :)
31 Anyway, when doing so please keep in mind the following scenarios:
32
33 - Newcomers that make a new install with the handbook. This information
34 about udev init script *needs* to be in the handbook.
35 - Oldschoolers that make new installs almost from memory, maybe with the
36 x86 quick install guide as a memo. They will probably miss anything
37 that is not a news item.
38 - Embedded handbook that advocates usage of crossdev and /usr/$CHOST as
39 a SYSROOT, nfs root, or even to copy this to the device's storage.
40 Those will not start off a releng-provided stage (though might not
41 even use udev either).
44 Alexis.