From: Roy Marles <roy@×××××××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Baselayout-2 progress?
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 10:50:54
1 On Saturday 01 March 2008 02:08:44 Duncan wrote:
2 > Is direct upgrade from previous baselayout-2.0.0-rcX going to be
3 > supported?
4
5 Existing configs should work just fine - with the exception of the modules
6 config. It's been moved to /etc/conf.d/modules instead of
7 the /etc/modules.autoload.d folder. There is no automated migration as
8 complex setups would go wrong.
9
10 > I was running that for some time and just now added and
11 > upgraded to the via layman version. There's a blocker, of course, as
12 > openrc is now providing most of the files that baselayout did.
13 >
14 > The problem is that unmerging the old 2.0.0-rcX baselayout in ordered to
15 > resolve the blockage is SCARY, since it leaves the system basically
16 > unbootable until the new setup is merged and at least basically
17 > configured. There's also the issue of not knowing for sure just what's
18 > going to still be around in terms of config files and the like, since
19 > unmerging baselayout isn't exactly an everyday thing.
20 >
21 > FWIW, I took the jump anyway, and the etc-update seemed to go reasonably
22 > well, but I've not rebooted yet...
23
24 As others pointed out, this is a package manager issue and those blockers are
25 there because of this. Not an OpenRC issue as such ;)
26
27 Thanks
28
29 Roy