From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:20:50
1 On 3/3/07, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Which would be worth what, for me? As far as I can see, there's
3 > absolutely nothing for me to gain by being labelled an "official Gentoo
4 > developer", and an awful lot to lose.
5
6 I think you're missing the point - I am not trying to convince you to
7 become a Gentoo developer.
8
9 > You speak of it as though being a Gentoo developer is a privilege
10 > rather than a responsibility.
11
12 Regardless of your personal opinion regarding the worth of being a
13 Gentoo developer, which little bearing on what we are discussing,
14 being a Gentoo developer *is* quite obviously a privilege in the true,
15 non-derogatory definition of the word. It is an authorization that
16 provides certain abilities and opportunities. These opportunities are
17 not available to non-developers.
18
19 So, again, since you are participating as a key member in an official
20 Gentoo project, which is a developer-only privilege, you should either
21 have your dev access reinstated or be removed from the project. This
22 choice isn't yours to make. Except that if you are not interested in
23 being a developer and dealing with all the crap that other developers
24 need to deal with then you cannot not become a developer (we can't
25 force you) and should be removed from PMS.
26
27 You really are making my point - you have a really sweet gig in that
28 you get to act as a Gentoo developer without many of the downsides.
29 The fact that this opporunity is being made available to you and not
30 everyone else (even me, the guy who created the project and most core
31 technologies) is unfair. Certainly you won't claim that *all* Gentoo
32 developers are unworthy of the title, would you? Yet even those who
33 are worthy of being called Gentoo developers don't enjoy the
34 privileges that you are currently enjoying.
35
36 > I was kicked for suggesting [snip]
37
38 I don't care why you were kicked; the issue at hand is that you *were*
39 kicked, and you currently *are* kicked, and as long as you *are*
40 kicked, you aren't allowed to participate in certain things. If you
41 were kicked for no good reason, then this should be fixed. This isn't
42 a forum for discussing those details.
43
44 > > I'm not trying to get you kicked as much as I'm trying to determine
45 > > whether there are still clearly-defined rules for Gentoo development
46 > > that are enforced in any meaningful or consistent way.
47 >
48 > Were there ever?
49
50 I'm assuming that was a sincere question rather than a sarcastic
51 remark. Yes, there were clearly-defined rules of conduct that were
52 consistently enforced. This was before you joined the project. By the
53 time you joined, I was becoming distracted by tons of meaningless crap
54 that kept me out of day-to-day Gentoo development and project
55 leadership, and things changed.
56
57 Gentoo is only going to be fun and productive again if we:
58
59 1) maintain a courteous and professional atmosphere
60 2) focus on good, transparent project management and collaboration
61 3) deliver cool technologies to Gentoo users
62
63 AND IN THAT ORDER ONLY, which is the only order that works long-term.
64 It makes no sense to try to do this in reverse order. It does not
65 work. 3 requires 2 and 2 requires 1. Right now these three pillars are
66 being treated as mutually exclusive goals which is absolutely
67 ridiculous and wrong, where we accept failure in point 1 in the hope
68 of achieving 3.
69
70 -Daniel
71 --