From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: the demise of grub:0
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:00:05
1 All,
2
3 I want to look into removing grub:0 from the tree; here are my thoughts
4 on why it should go.
5
6 - the handbook doesn't document grub:0; we officially only support
7 grub:2.
8
9 - There are multiple bugs open against grub:0 (15 at my last count). A
10 number of these as I understand it are because of custom patches we
11 apply.
12
13 - grub:0 can't boot a nomultilib system, so we have to maintain a
14 separate package (grub-static) specifically for that setup.
15
16 - Removing grub:0 from the tree doesn't stop you from using it. If people
17 really want it I will place it in the graveyard overlay.
18
19 - We have custom patches for grub:0, which will never go upstream.
20
21 - grub:0 is dead upstream. They have not done any work on it in years.
22
23 - The only real problem with grub:2 has to do with pperception. Yes,
24 their documentation has a strong preference toward using their
25 configuration script (grub-mkconfig) to generate your grub.cfg, but
26 this is not required.
27
28 So, I want to make a plan to lastrite grub:0 and grub-static.
29
30 I'm thinking, in about a week, p.mask grub:0 along with grub-static and
31 send out a lastrites msg with a 30 day removal notice.
32
33 If there any technical objections to this, let me know what they are.
34
35 Thanks,
36
37 William